30 Day Challenge

Check Out the Bottom of the Page for a Running List of Daily Challenges!

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Totally Cheated, Totally Rejuvenated

I don't really like to say "cheated" because I see more of what I and others are doing as a lifestyle change - becoming more health conscious, eating more locally, choosing organic when possible, eating and living as kindly as possible, and encouraging community building. My goal this month was to get rid of the white sugar I had become so terribly addicted to, and I must say - I don't eat candy bars every day, so I have greatly improved, and I do make better choices.
I threw all that out the window last night to go out to dinner with a friend (part of my commitment to building community AND some taking time for self - all you moms go do this!!) It was really my first time out since having my little guy, and I am happy I went!
Was I totally vegan - NO
Was I sugar free - Absolutely Not!!
BUT, because of this outing I found a great restaurant and an AMAZING website that is going to really help you eat locally.
First of all, we went to Abby Park in Milton (www.abbypark.com) for very yummy food!! They have great salads such as - arugula, cranberries, beets, and an amazing hunk of blue cheese with a nice balsamic. We followed that up with a really fresh plate of babaganoush, hummus, tabbouleh, and warm pita bread. I could eat that for every meal!! My favorite part though, was the very non-vegan part - A flat bread pizza with Golden Delicious apples, Super Sharp cheddar cheese, and perfectly crisp bacon. SO GOOD!! It was just the perfect combination of tastes - tangy, sharp, salty, and sweet. To go with it I had a very lovely glass of Riesling. I know zilch about wine, I ordered it because it was called "Kung-Fu Girl" and I happen to obsessively play Rhythmic Kung-Fu on our Wii (I kind of rock at it).
To end the meal, they had an amazing selection of after dinner drinks, coffees and teas, as well as big desserts and mini desserts. My friend had a very creamy looking cappuccino to go along with her mini Peanut Butter Cup (chocolate shell with peanut butter mousse) and Meyer Lemon Creme Brulee - All of which she raved about! My Rooibus tea came and smelled so amazing that it kind of overshadowed the cappuccino - it was creamy without adding anything to it and it could have been dessert on its own - but come on, I wasn't going to get dessert???? Oh I did!! Mini Sliders (mini whoopie pies on a skewer - I sent a pic by phone to my husband who wanted to know what Buffy the Vampire Slayer was doing in Milton), and then a mini Key Lime that was heaven in a mini cup and served with a mini graham cracker. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, we realized our desserts had come with mini spoons!!! The spoons were super cute and perfect for the size of the desserts. Similar to standing while eating, if you eat dessert with a mini spoon it has mini calories (HA!).
So where is the healthy part of this? Well, I went on Abby Park's website and clicked on the section to see who their "friends" are - one friend is the Milton Fruit Center Marketplace. I clicked on their site, and that is where I found the most amazing information!! From Kale recipes, to local foods, they have GREAT information!!! So I highly recommend checking their site out www.fruitcentermarketplace.com. If you do check out their site, make sure you look at the "Just Picked" Blog where you can find out about local foods and shops and check out tons of recipes.
So, after a fun night out, realizing my husband is perfectly capable at taking care of our child, and appreciating that dessert and wine are better in moderation, I am back on the Toodles Sugar Wagon. I did bid it adieu with a sweet local goodbye - a peach strudel from Sweet Tooth in South Boston (www.sweettoothboston.com) Amazing!!! And not really a dessert since there were like 2 whole peaches in in it! and an Oreo cupcake from BabyCakes (www.babycakesshop.net) in Quincy -I only had a bite of it, it was soooooooo good, I would have eaten 10 if I had kept going...
I never realized how crazy my sugar intake was until I started writing this. It is probably a bit concerning to some....like my dentist!
Well, I am off to the Fruit Center in Milton tomorrow to explore myself. Until then, if you are looking for some yummy local food, try out Abby Park, Sweet Tooth, or Babycakes - All super great with super friendly people to help you choose what delicious treat to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment